Title: District Operations Director
State Role Title: Gen Admin Manager III
Hiring Range: $130,028-$211,669
Pay Band: 7
Agency: VA Dept of Transportation
Location: NOVA District Office
Agency Website: https://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/default.asp
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
NOVA District is seeking a District Operations Director to provide oversight, leadership, strategy, and focus for excellence in traffic operations. You will develop and manage strategies to maximize the movement of people and goods to their destinations efficiently and safely, and lead VDOT's District-wide Traffic Operations efforts in coordination with state, local, and federal partners. You will collaborate with other District and Central Office leaders to ensure complementary and supportive actions are being executed across the District.
Core responsibilities include but may not be limited to:
Management of Functions- Provide oversight to District Traffic Operations Functions, including traffic engineering, freeway and arterial operations, operations asset management, including ITS and signal management programs. Drive enhanced results in these areas across the District.
Efficiency, Improvements, and Results- Review overall efficiency and effectiveness of programs and direct the development, implementation, and revision of budgets, policies, practices, systems, initiatives, and performance metrics to improve the results in the traffic operations program areas. Set performance expectations and downstream processes to deliver excellence in traffic operations by implementing elements of the TSMO (Transportation Systems Maintenance and Operations) framework.
District Liaison for Operations- In partnership with District Engineers and Residency Administrators be the voice of district authority in relationship with federal and state organizations, trade groups, and local government entities related to traffic operations.
Traffic Operations Center- As applicable, provide leadership and oversight to Traffic Operations Center personal, processes, and outcomes.
Strategic Leadership for Traffic Operations- Promote excellence in Traffic Operations and provide strategic leadership through innovative concepts, ideas, pilots, and implementations to improve safety, security, customer satisfaction, and project delivery.
In addition to a rewarding work experience, VDOT offers excellent health and life insurance benefits, pre-tax spending accounts, state funded Short and Long Term Disability, paid holidays, vacation, tuition assistance, free wellness programs, and a state retirement plan with options for tax-deferred retirement savings including employer matching.
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application.
We have Shared Values and a Code of Ethics: Your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values, therefore please access the following link: http://www.virginiadot.org/about/missionandvalues.asp to review them and, if in agreement, we welcome you to apply.
• Ability to make decisions to affect organizational change, improve service delivery, establish clear objectives, priorities, achieve measurable results and performance measures.
• Skilled at establishing performance measures, evaluating metrics and data to drive desired results.
• Ability to develop executive-level correspondence and other documents on behalf of Agency leadership, communicate effectively orally and in writing and conduct meetings with a wide range of groups.
• Ability to apply independent judgment in the development, interpretation, analysis of regulations, policies and procedures.
• Ability to plan, coordinate, schedule, manage multiple assignments and projects in a dynamic environment.
• Knowledge of financial management principles and practices.
• Ability to administer large, complex programs.
• Ability to maneuver through complex political situations effectively.
• Knowledge of managerial leadership principles, organizational methods, strategic planning and budget management.
• Ability to make complex, quality, timely decisions, delegate responsibility, and focus on results.
• Executive or Director level program management experience in traffic operations or relevant fields.
• Knowledge of agency procedures and specifications, organizational policies and customer service principles.
• A combination of training, experience, or education in Civil Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related field desired.
• Progressively responsible senior leadership experience in civil engineering, transportation systems or government organizations.
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
Valid Driver’s License. Fingerprint based background check, references, work history, and DMV records check will be conducted.
All employees are required to work in emergency situations, to include weekends, holidays, and after normal business hours; assignments may vary based on business needs.
Name: Danielle Rayner
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Fairfax County, VA USA
Fairfax County, VA USA