Title: Engineer - Traffic Design
State Role Title: Architect Engineer I
Hiring Range: $72,738 - $118,200
Pay Band: 5
Agency: VA Dept of Transportation
Location: Dept of Transportation
Agency Website: https://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/default.asp
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
What drives you? Whether it's knowing the work you do makes a difference, having a great work/life balance, working on exciting and challenging projects, leading innovation, and championing change or simply working with a great group of people who are committed to professionalism. At the Virginia Department of Transportation, we have something for you.
Our Location and Design Division is seeking an Engineer – Traffic Design to join our team. The selected candidate will be responsible for
• Teamwork and Customer Service: Demonstrates customer service and work habits that reflect the VDOT Values and coordinates the flow of information both orally and in writing.
• Analysis and Technical Reporting: Analyze and interpret engineering data and information. Prepare complete, clear, and concise reports and recommendations.
• Manage Assigned Activities: Plan, schedule, and coordinate engineering program activities such that deliverables are met within the established scope and timeline.
• Design of Traffic Control Devices: Design preliminary and final plans of traffic control devices for each project by utilizing iPM and PCES. Work with technical staff to accomplish the design and review of any designs developed by consultants or local jurisdictions to ensure work is in accordance with federal, state standards, guidelines, and policies. Assure budgets and timelines associated with projects are met. Analyze plans and specification revision requests; assure revision is completed in a timely manner, is correct and processed through proper channels established by agency policy. Review and process all catalog cuts to ensure conformance with the Contract through proper channels as established by agency policy. Keep abreast of new technology, specifications, and construction methodologies. Assist in updating specs, standards, Traffic Engineering Design Manual, and internal memoranda necessary for development of TCD plans.
• Computer and CADD: Skills Use MicroStation, Guidesign, Geopak and AGI. Maintain project information in PcES and Trns*port and other computer programs. Use MS Office Suite.
• Special Assignments: Manage special program initiatives and projects as assigned. Serve and represent VDOT or assigned program area on various committees and work groups.
• Engineering Process Management: Use established VDOT policies and procedures in the development and delivery of engineering projects. Engineering projects are completed in compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
• Communication: Establish an effective line of communication between VDOT, contractors, government agencies and the public. Investigate issues and resolve complaints.
• Project Engineering: Assist in the management of projects and tasks including development of and managing the scope, schedule, budget, deliverables, change management, quality, and status reports. Complete multiple concurrent tasks and assignments, and report updates on their status.
• Technical Guidance and Leadership to Consultants: Provide guidance in understanding policy requirements, stages of project development, providing training opportunities when necessary and directing consultants when they provide TCD designs. Assure the proper staff attend project meetings throughout the life of the project in order to provide input regarding TCD and iTS designs, potential conflicts and right of way requirements.
• Task and Time Management: Demonstrate knowledge of utility design and its relation to the plan development process and performs and directs tasks in accordance with project scheduling and in support of VDOT programs. Manage time and adjust priorities of task performance as needed.
• Quality Control: Maintain quality of project produced by team; perform required checks throughout the process. Ensure electronic files are achieved at proper stages of plan development. Participate in peer reviews of work done by others.
• Ability to plan, coordinate, prioritize multiple assignments within set timeframes.
• Skilled in MS office software and use of traffic engineer design programs.
• Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices related to traffic control devices.
• Ability to interpret and use construction plans, MUTCD, VA Supplement to MUTCD.
• Knowledge of project development process, policies, guidelines, or regulations related to traffic control devices and ITS elements.
• Ability to train and evaluate the work of others.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing with internal and external customers.
• Familiarity with project development process, policies, guidelines, and regulations as it relates to roadway lighting, traffic control devices, and ITS elements.
• Skilled in the use of lighting design software programs (i.e. AGI32).
• Ability to: design and review roadway lighting plans and traffic control device plans; interpret and use construction plans, ANSI/IES RP-8, the MUTCD, the Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD, Road and Bridge Specifications and Standards, VDOT Traffic Engineering Design Manual, Work Area Protection Manual and various federal and state manuals.
• BS in Civil Engineering or a combination of related experience and/or education may substitute for degree.
• Professional Engineers License
• EIT is also preferred.
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
This position requires a fingerprint based Criminal History Background Check, DMV Record Check and Work History Verification with references.
VDOT is an emergency operation agency. Positions physically working within Central Office locations may be designated upon request and coordination among the respective District Engineer or Administrator and Chief. Assignments are updated annually. Not all designated employees are provided an emergency operations assignment.
Once onboarded, this position may be eligible for telework opportunities; availability, hours, and duration of telework shall be approved as outlined in the Commonwealth telework policy.
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application.
VDOT utilizes a market-based pay program, which has been approved by DHRM. Therefore, advertised rates of pay may or may not align with the Commonwealth pay bands.
Name: Shiron Haskins
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Richmond, VA USA
Richmond, VA USA