Title: Engineering Supervisor
State Role Title: Architect Engineer I
Hiring Range: $72,738 - $118,200
Pay Band: 5
Agency: VA Dept of Transportation
Location: Dept of Transportation
Agency Website: https://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/default.asp
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
What drives you? Whether it's knowing the work you do makes a difference, having a great work/life balance, working on exciting and challenging projects, leading innovation, and championing change or simply working with a great group of people who are committed to professionalism. At the Virginia Department of Transportation, we have something for you.
Our Materials Division is excited to announce we are seeking an Engineering Supervisor to join our team. The selected candidate will be responsible for
• Analysis and Technical Reporting: Analyze and interpret technical engineering information and data. Prepare reports and recommendations related to findings.
• Test Methods and Specifications: Prepare, revise and review test methods and specifications. Ensure reports are accurate and reported within acceptable time frames. Review test methods and specifications related to programs. Communicate changes to test methods and specs to industry and staff.
• Quality Assurance Program: Coordinate QA activities for all materials plant and field testing and inspection functions. Ensure independent assurance and verification testing for materials used on federally funded NHS projects is properly documented for compliance with the FHWA guidelines and regs.
• Project Management: Provide direction and coordination for all project activities, integrating team member deliverables and budgets. Establish schedules and budgets so that complex projects utilize VDOT's standards, policies, and procedures. Assist in directing daily project activities. Develop, manage, and monitor scope, schedule, and estimate for assigned projects to deliver projects on time and within budget. Coordinate with other VDOT sections to ensure all segments of the project are kept on schedule.
• Communications: Communicate effectively with internal and external customers including VDOT staff, local governments, elected officials, and FHWA. Prepare correspondence, technical documents, reports, presentations, and demonstrations. Respond to requests for information and resources from internal and external customers.
• Material Sampling: Provide technical guidance on material sampling and testing procedures for acceptance and quality assurance, and proper installation of materials. Perform thorough audits of materials acceptance documentation on site and at project completion.
• Team Leadership: Supervise a team of engineers and technicians in performing duties and assignments for related program area. Monitor and evaluate work activities and provide guidance and direction. Promote training and professional development opportunities.
• Engineering Compliance: Ensure all engineering projects are completed in compliance with VDOT, state and federal policies, procedures, guidelines, laws, and regulations.
• VDOT Representation: Represent the agency and program area internally, with citizens, elected officials, local governments, and the business community. Be actively involved in group assignments for the planning and implementation of initiatives and issues.
• Special Projects: Perform special projects and assignments related to engineering program when assigned. This includes work on implementation and daily use of AASHTOWare Project software.
• Training: Provide training and give technical presentations to industry and staff. Provide for proficiency checks for those seeking certification. Review national and state programs for potential tools improvements in specs and training.
• Experience applying materials quality control and quality assurance practices.
• Valid driver's license.
• Ability to plan and coordinate staff workload and set priorities.
• Skill in the use of computers and software applications.
• Ability to supervise others.
• Effective organization skills.
• Experience in material sampling and testing procedures such as AASHTO and ASTM testing specifications and VA Test Methods.
• Knowledge of material engineering properties and their performance in roadway construction.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with internal and external customers
• Experience related to materials quality control and quality assurance practices and materials acceptance processes.
• Knowledge of laboratory accreditation procedures and audits.
• Knowledge of precast concrete plant quality procedures.
• Ability to obtain required VDOT certifications within 12 months of hire.
• A combination of training, experience or education in Civil Engineering or related field desired.
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
Once onboarded, this position may be eligible for telework opportunities; availability, hours, and duration of telework shall be approved as outlined in the Commonwealth telework policy.
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application.
VDOT utilizes a market-based pay program, which has been approved by DHRM. Therefore, advertised rates of pay may or may not align with the Commonwealth pay bands.
Name: Shiron Haskins
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Richmond, VA USA
Richmond, VA USA