Title: Estimator (Data Analytics)
State Role Title: Prog Admin Specialist III
Hiring Range: $84,858 - $137,895
Pay Band: 6
Agency: VA Dept of Transportation
Location: Dept of Transportation
Agency Website: https://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/default.asp
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
What drives you? Whether it's knowing the work you do makes a difference, having a great work/life balance, working on exciting and challenging projects, leading innovation, and championing change or simply working with a great group of people who are committed to professionalism. At the Virginia Department of Transportation, we have something for you.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is excited to announce an opportunity to serve as an Estimator (Data Analytics) in the Cost Estimation Office (CEO). The successful candidate will have the opportunity to provide sophisticated data management and analysis to support both the CEO programs and ultimately the Department’s project cost estimating practices. Focusing primarily on high-level data projections and statistical analysis. Including the management, design and programming of data analytic resources. And finally overseeing monthly reporting, data submission, as well as assisting with the preparation of documents pertinent to various estimating topics.
This challenging and rewarding position’s specific responsibilities and duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Program Administration: Developing predictive, data driven procedures to ensure the development of objective, reliable, and defensible assessments. Independently and creatively analyze data to test or refine hypotheses. Lead projects in concept formulation, determination of appropriate statistical methodology, data analysis, research evaluation, and final reporting. Act as a champion for the CEO’s research and development as it pertains to data analytics all while working in a professional manner and possessing a strong willingness to learn and improve.
• Reporting: Reporting trend analysis to executive management, as well as cost estimating practitioners, based on your review of cost and market trends using a variety of data analytics and predictive analysis tools. Reports will range from estimate performance and trend analysis to lessons learned and potential methodologies to improve the efficiency of the estimation process.
• Liaison: Visualize and report data findings creatively in a variety of visual formats to support the CEO’s initiatives. Collaborate across Department Directorates, including with Division and District staff to provide actionable data-driven insights. Be a leader of Department data science initiatives and provide guidance to less experienced data analysts/scientists.
• Program Development: Promote a culture of excellence by supporting others and generating new ideas to drive the CEO forward. Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data for new purposes. Explore and examine data from multiple disparate sources in order to identify, analyze, and report trends in the data. Including the development and execution of statistical mathematical and predictive models. Establish links across existing data sources and discover new interesting data correlations. Formulate and define analytic scope and objectives through research and fact-finding as a self-starter.
• Cost Estimating: Providing cost estimating technical support and guidance to VDOT Project Managers, Designers and Estimators. Reviewing cost estimates and providing recommendations to improve estimate accuracy and helping to ensure estimates are developed in a manner consistent with VDOT’s Cost Estimating Manual and other applicable policies.
Additionally, the position may be asked to support the following areas:
Estimating Tools and Systems –the maintenance, evaluation and testing of VDOT’s various estimating tools and systems used for preparing and updating project cost estimates. This includes but is not limited to, AASHTOWare Project Suite as well as other internal estimating tools and systems developed by the Department.
Training –the development and delivery of training content and materials. Training could be for both cost estimating processes and the technology and tools supporting the development of said estimates. Training will be prepared and provided for internal and external uses.
Estimating Policy – reviewing, refining and updating VDOT’s Cost Estimation Policies. Including the Cost Estimating Manual, IIMs and other VDOT policy or guidance related to Cost Estimating.
• Knowledge of transportation laws, regulations, policies, procedures including federal, state, local planning, land use regulations, maintenance management, and work zone.
• Knowledge of transportation engineering estimation principles and procedures.
• Skill in maneuvering through complex issues and showing sensitivity to how people and organizations function. Negotiating and leading discussions to reach positive outcomes.
• Knowledge and application of construction engineering principles, roadway and structure design, and project programming.
• Knowledge of public policy, external factors and business practices related to transportation.
• Project management experience on a variety of complex transportation projects to include managing multiple, high value contracts within the transportation industry.
• Skill in building networks, relationships with employees, field personnel, contractors, consultants, suppliers, manufacturers and FHWA representatives.
• Strong Organization and timeline management skills.
• Understanding of all phases of the analytic process including data collection, preparation, modeling, evaluation, and deployment.
• Experience in AI/ML modeling approaches.
• Experience in transportation program management, development, design, construction, and integration on complex projects and associated regulatory, finance and legal constraints.
• A combination of training, experience, or education in Civil Engineering, Project Development, Construction Management or related field is desired.
• Experience in the estimation and successful delivery of complex VDOT (or comparable) projects is desired.
• Professional engineer, design builders professional, or certified construction manager certification is a plus.
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
This position requires a fingerprint based Criminal History Background Check, DMV Record Check and Work History Verification with references.
VDOT is an emergency operation agency. Positions physically working within Central Office locations may be designated upon request and coordination among the respective District Engineer or Administrator and Chief. Assignments are updated annually. Not all designated employees are provided an emergency operations assignment.
Once onboarded, this position may be eligible for telework opportunities; availability, hours, and duration of telework shall be approved as outlined in the Commonwealth telework policy.
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application.
VDOT utilizes a market-based pay program, which has been approved by DHRM. Therefore, advertised rates of pay may or may not align with the Commonwealth pay bands.
Name: Shiron Haskins
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Richmond, VA USA
Richmond, VA USA